Phyrexia

Forum based RPG

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

The beginning

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Gurthoron

Character sheet
Name: Matt Bonner
HP:
20/20  (20/20)
Energy:
16/26  (16/26)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:48 pm

"Alright, summing up a planet. Earth is a planet of over 6.6 billion people, all of whom are either human or claiming as such. Other than plenty of wackoos, no one reliable on the planet has had contact with another sentient race. If I went back and told them what I'd seen I would probably be dismissed to the tabloid pages. Anyway, despite sharing a common species, we still find plenty of conflict over minor physical differences, geographical differences, government, and of course religion. I notice you carry a pair of weapons we'd refer to as "revolvers", albeit fairly ancient examples of the type. Optimal range of around 30 feet, takes a nice long exposed while to reload? On earth there are man portable weapons capable of unloading hundreds of rounds per minute or hitting a man size target from a mile away. And to carry bigger weapons, we have enormous flying machines, armored ground vehicles that could shrug off any weapon this castle carries, and armored ships the size of cities."

As he speaks Matt pulls a slender silver case from his backpack and begins fiddling with it. After a moment he turns it towards Renault, showing a picture of an immense firey cloud, mushroom shaped, rising from a ring of smoke, "As for the weapons I mentioned, they are these. Nuclear weapons. This is a picture from the tests they preformed at a little place called Bikini Atoll. That little ship in the foreground? That thing is 560 feet long. It was sunk by the explosion. This was taken early during the testing and construction phase of nukes. Modern ones are more powerful by an order of magnitude, and capable of being launched at targets across the planet. There are an estimated 27,000 of them on Earth. Its a little calmed down now compared to what it used to be, but if the ruler of one of those countries with these weapons decides to toss them around, all hell could break loose."

Matt stows his computer back, then looks over the others, "If these demons we are supposed to analyze have the weapons of Earth, you better pray they just want to enslave us. Otherwise, they can wipe this place clean on a whim."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikhael

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Before the party leaves the room Lieutenant Brical distributes a small earborn device, looking like an earmonacle really, to the two offworlders. "Just so you know, not everyone here can speak English. Frankly, I'm surprised that the two of your worlds speak it. These will help translate some spoken text for the major areas in our world. Not all of them though."

As the Concord building is left behind the city of Arayel unfolds before the travelers eyes. The streets are wide enough for horse carriages and made with a cobble stone set up. The buildings look to be made of earthen material which one would wager is in a large abundance here. Hanging from posts that jut out from each building, is a myrad of signs that display a rather fluid looking script. Although the ear pieces work for spoken language, it seems to not for written.

The streets are filled with humans almost exclusively. With your occasional stereotypical fantasy races appearing here and there, halflings and elves.

The party walks on, with most of the members engaged in idle conversation about casually decimating worlds. As they pass a roughly horseshoe shaped building with an open air center, converted into an outdoor eating area, Merrilyn speaks up...

to those who are not offworlders:
Spoiler:

Seen through the open windows are several large boards with large red lettering written on them, this appears to be the menu system. In the middle of every set of four tables a small cylinder with four smaller tubes inside is set upon a pole. These cylinders appear to be made out of a glasslike material and some bright red liquid inside. Rapped around the side is a small tube also made out of the same material with a nozzle in it. Although there appears to be no empty glasses.

For natives:
Spoiler:

Cap'n Pat

Character sheet
Name: Merrilyn Courville
HP:
26/50  (26/50)
Energy:
10/20  (10/20)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Merril looks over at the images Matt showed. "Such violence...why do people feel the need to hurt each other?" I really enjoy the amazing advances that the people your people have made, but so many of them appear to be to kill. It's just a shame."

She walks into the tavern and has a seat at one of the tables. Looking about, she appears to be lost in thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maj._Victory

Character sheet
Name: Renault 'The Carver' Gavinsborke
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Sitting down in the tavern Renault takes in what Matt has spoken about.

"So as a representative of Earth I would venture to guess that you're equipped with the most novel of these devices to assist in fighting the demons. Am I correct?"

He takes a quick glance at the strange device in the middle of the table. He just as quickly dismisses it as some form of condiment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubbles

Character sheet
Name: Philonis Trehbraun
HP:
23/50  (23/50)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Phil remembers about such disscussions about the people from Earth and their fancy "technology." "Such things are only good for destroying, not defending, not for protecting what you want. And what the heck are these "feet" you speak of. If your trying to say it's really big, just say it's really big. None of this technical stuff, what did Joe call it? Math wizardry? Number magic? I don't remember, but there are some of us here not too familiar with such descriptions so just keep it simple alright. Anyway I'm going to grab my grub and a glass, you can tell us more about this nukular thing you have afterwards."

Phil then bellies up to the bar and gets himself some pub stuffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Umbra_Panthera

Character sheet
Name: Tenebrae Aleranyse
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
35/35  (35/35)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:38 am

Tenebrae follows Phil to the bar, gathering some food and requesting some wine in place of the beer-whiskey. His choices in food seem to lack a meat branch. He places himself in a seat allowing an optimal view of the door and as much of the room as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap'n Pat

Character sheet
HP:
26/50  (26/50)
Energy:
10/20  (10/20)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Merril snaps to after a few minutes of thought. Powers of observation lead her to believe that Phil and Tenebrae, being ones that seem not to like the usual and the common, are ordering special things. She continues to wait for a hostess to serve them.

To pass the time, she tries to collect more information about the group to make better strategic decisions. So, Tenebrae, we have yet to hear about what special talents you bring to our collective. Could you please elaborate?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gurthoron

Character sheet
Name: Matt Bonner
HP:
20/20  (20/20)
Energy:
16/26  (16/26)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 pm

At Renault's comment Matt snorts, "Novel, yes. Their devices? Well, the concept of them was thought up on Earth, but few have seen them past the monitor."

As Phil made his comment and walked past Matt crinkled his nose, partially at the man's views, partially at his scent. The feet comment though was of interest. He might have to learn a whole new system of measurement for this place.

Or perhaps this Phil chap just didn't use numbers. Damn hippies.

Matt looks about the bar with a bit of bewilderment, and watches carefully as the others order. After that he sidles up to the bar, trying to prepare himself for whatever inevitable embarrassment the outsider to a new society always experienced when trying to do simple tasks such as ordering food. On the plus side, if it happened now then whatever they passed for a restroom around here might go smoothly," I don't suppose you have anything called soda? A carbonated beverage with lots of sugar and caffeine? And a sandwich, heavy on the meat, please."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maj._Victory

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Watching the 'natives' walk up to the bar and order leads Renault to the conclusion he should do the same. He walks up to the bar and acting with confidence, places his order.

"I fancy I'll have some bangers and mash and a good pint, and don't make it a sarny I'm looking for a full course."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikhael

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:24 pm

As the bar attendant hustles by he snaps his fingers then points to you. After a minute or so he walks by again and sets a plate in front of you that contains several slices of meat lying on a bed of some sort of mashed root with mix'ns. Accompanying the food is a clay mug. Instead of having a hand hold it appears that one side of the mug has a coarse clay mixed into it, giving a grip style hand hold. The mug feels somewhat warm to the touch, but empty inside.

Umbra_Panthera

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
35/35  (35/35)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm

"Nor have you spoken of your talents, Merril, though I suppose leadership is one of them, hopefully not the only one," Tenebrae chuckles. "For myself I have an excellent mind, some fair skill in battle, and I have faced our enemy before. Perhaps not talents, but a form of usefulness, I would hope."

He takes a bite of his food, eating slowly, enjoying it and the wine. His eyes flicker among those of the tavern. He looks oddly at Phil's back at his comments, and observes the food each of the company orders. He turns his silver eyes to Merril, watchful and waiting. When he speaks, he speaks softly, his voice barely edging past their own table.

"My magic is a simple one, since you seem quite interested in learning about it. I have showed it to you once already, but I suppose an explanation is in order. I am able to create illusions of sorts, not the mental kind, but phantasms. Did you really think my eyes changed color naturally?"

He chuckles and returns to his meal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fuzzball

Character sheet
Name: Calliope
HP:
30/30  (30/30)
Energy:
28/38  (28/38)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:50 am

Calliope grabs a mug from one of the bar attendants as the group enters, and fills her glass before taking a seat. She doesn't seem interested in eating, or particularly in drinking as she only sips occassionally. She listens, carefully guaging each person as they interact, but not feeling the need to add anything to the conversation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maj._Victory

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:00 am

As he sits down at the table Renault catches the tail end of the conversation. Setting his food gently on the table he interjects his opinions.

"No, but I would hope that as a member of this team that your powers extend beyond cheap parlor tricks. Perhaps you could give a more relevant example?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap'n Pat

Character sheet
HP:
26/50  (26/50)
Energy:
10/20  (10/20)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 am

Merril seems almost startled by Teneabre’s revelation. "Oh, my! I guess I haven't provided full disclosure. How rude of me to expect this and not give the same. My apologies." She bows her head breifly and returns to her explination.

"As far as talents go, my skills are within the realm of negotiation and conversation. I have no specific leadership "powers" per se, but I have extensive study in combat and the martial arts. However, I choose to use them only to defend others. I hope that helps! Oh, and I do not require a presentation of anybodys powers or abilites. I can tell that we are all forthcoming, trustworthy individuals." She cocks her head and smiles, silently praying that her new party is not going to create a scene in a tavern that they have been in now for less than 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Umbra_Panthera

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
35/35  (35/35)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Tenebrae eats and drinks for a time before responding to Renault's question, "My example is as relevant as your's was, though I am sure the middle of a tavern is not the place for such discussions." He returns to his meal, seeming satisfied with his response for the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bubbles

Character sheet
Name: Philonis Trehbraun
HP:
23/50  (23/50)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:25 am

Phil eats contently and tries to get some good impressions from his new team. Merril seemed too nice to be a leader; Renault seemed like a showoff; Tenebrae seemed to unnerve Phil a bit, one of those almighty elf types?; Phil seemed to get off on the wrong foot with Matt, could be an unpleasant relationship; And he had no idea what to think of, oh can't think of her name, Cantilope? No! Calliope! Yeah, she was pretty quiet, not much of an impression yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fuzzball

Character sheet
Name: Calliope
HP:
30/30  (30/30)
Energy:
28/38  (28/38)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Calliope sets down her glass, "Well, I don't mind giving a little display." Her form blurs and she is gone. About thirty seconds later the tavern door opens and Calliope walks in wearing a form-fitting little black dress. Her hair is down, curling in lazy ringlets around her pretty face, and a pleasant smell surrounds her. She nods a thank you to the man holding the door before rejoining the table, the man eyeing her backside as she strolls away from him. She tilts her head playfully, "Well, now I'm a bit overdressed, but I think it's a good display. Of course that skill is mostly for getting away from a fight in a hurry."

She glances around to see if anyone is paying too much attention then shrugs. Her form blurs for a moment once again and a knife seems to appear in her hand from nowhere. "This is most likely why I'm along on this little trip." She slices into her bare arm and winces a bit, "You'd think you'd get used to the pain, but it always hurts." She takes a napkin and wipes the fresh blood away revealing her delicate skin, but no wound. She finishes cleaning herself off as she speaks. "There you have it. I'm not much more than a two-trick pony, but I do have my uses."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maj._Victory

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Renault takes close note of Calliope as she performs her demonstration, studying her moves like a fighter judging his opponent. When she returns to the table Renault looks her over once more.

"Very impressive, you have quite a talent if I do say so myself. I think a demonstration of my own magick may be in order, but first may I freshen your drink?"

Renault produces a thin notebook from his jacket and begins flipping through it. All the pages appear to have a set of symbols arranged in geometric patterns. He stops on a page with five symbols arranged in a pentagon, two of these symbols are the same, but other than that clue they mean little to the casual observer. In a low voice he speaks an incantation.

"Ulyaoth Pargon Antorbok Pargon Redgormor!"

The symbols on the page leap into small columns of light and float above the page before falling back to the page and vaporizing into nothing with a small crackle. A paper thin sheet of shimmering, transparent energy slides under Calliope's glass, and carries it effortlessly to the dispenser of alcohol. It then gracefully proceeds to fill the glass and return it to its origin on the table. The entire time Renault sits and watches, even taking a drink from his own glass during the spectacle. The magick sheet then shrinks into nothingness and disappears.

"Well now that your drink is refreshed, perhaps a demonstration."

Renault cracks a wry smile and returns to his meal.

For the DM:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Maj._Victory on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap'n Pat

Character sheet
HP:
26/50  (26/50)
Energy:
10/20  (10/20)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 am

Merrilyn smiles at the small demonstations provided, only wincing at when Calliope intentionally wounds herself. She tries to calmly (and without alarming the others) glance around to make sure that nobody within the tavern is startled or taking undue notice to the group. "Wonderful! Each of your gifts are truly amazing. I'm sure they will serve us well in our travels."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikhael

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 am

As the party talks and displays their magical powers, most of the bar continues on though nothing of note has happened. Occasional looks and glances are thrown in your direction, but for the most part their looks are that of intrigue or surprise rather than fear. Merrilyn notices the glance of the bar keep that seems to quietly say, "you folks had best not damage my bar."

Meanwhile, as quiet as a mute mouse a small gentle force sidles up to Renault's right hand. As Renault opens his palm he feels a few legs gingerly step onto it and begin shuffling around slowly moving up his forearm. When Renault peers beneath the table he spies a small scorpion skittering up his right arm.

(OOC: Everyone may roll a perception + spot roll to see this event, followed by a Perception + Spellcraft afterwards. Since there are about 5 things going on, send me your results and I will disperse what you figure out from there.)

Maj._Victory

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
30/30  (30/30)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 am

After finishing a bite Renault looks down and to his surprise finds a scorpion crawling up his arm. It seemed ludicrous to Renault that a man would be carrying a live scorpion in his pocket, but here it was all the same. Grabbing a handkerchief from his coat with his left hand he then proceeds to scoop up the scorpion in the handkerchief, taking special care not to damage the creature. He then places the handkerchief on the table.

"I do believe this is yours Mister Tenebrae. Good show."

Renault leans back, scratches his chin and awaits the elf's response.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Umbra_Panthera

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
35/35  (35/35)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Tenebrae's face shows nothing of his thoughts, though he watches Renault's reactions as his eyes flicker about the tavern. Impressive, the pickpockets on his world must be either very rich or very poor. He concentrates carefully, ensuring his illusion is maintained throughout handling. He smiles at Renault's statement, considering his options.

"You should be careful who's pockets you poke around in. You never know when you might get stung by something unexpected."

The scorpion scuttles over to Tenebrae and he pockets the small creature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap'n Pat

Character sheet
HP:
26/50  (26/50)
Energy:
10/20  (10/20)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:00 pm

Merril raises her eyebrows at the exchange that just took place. She clears her throat before drawing her conclusion. "My what a strange creature to keep in a pocket. Do you have other pets?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikhael

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:19 pm

All around the bar the scorpions appearance is noticed. Many eyes shift rather surprisingly after the scorpion crawls into Tenebrae's pocket to the floor. Some guests appear to dismiss it rather quickly. However it is apparent that there are a few that feel the need to hurry to finish their meals.

From behind the bar the bartender emerges and walks over to the group. Pausing behind tenebrae he whispers, "Controlled magic is one thing traveller, however poisonous, skittery animals are another. Im afraid that your... er... pets... are gonna have to be in a jar if you wish to stay."

Meanwhile up at the bar, a young woman leans over the bar to hear Matt over the noise of the bar. "Carbombed soda? Sorry I dont know that one. The meat and sugar we got though." She puts a plate with what looks like a quesadilla without cheese and extra sliced red meat inside covered in some sort of spread. Next to it she puts an earthen pot filled with a white powder one can deduce is sugar. "Would you like a mug or something?"

Umbra_Panthera

Character sheet
HP:
40/40  (40/40)
Energy:
35/35  (35/35)

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 pm

"My apologies good keeper," Tenebrae also speaks quietly, "it is quite incapable of doing harm." He stands and walks to the door, and releases the creature outside. It scuttles away from the tavern and out of sight. As he returns to his seat he speaks to Renault, "As I said, perhaps not the best of places to demonstrate." He smiles at Merril, taking his seat and resuming his meal, "I suppose I do have quite a few pets, not all of them would fit in my pocket though." He chuckles, as if he finds something amusing in the question.

Floating glasses are normal, but a small creature causes concern, such unusual priorities...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The beginning   

Back to top Go down

The beginning
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Phyrexia :: In Character Threads :: It begins-
Jump to: